Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Hike to Alp Grüm, and St. Moritz

I was a bit grumpy at breakfast as I related to H a telephone call from reception. Apparently some misunderstanding on their part or ours. But I didn't record in my diary the exact nature of the mixup, so I must have got over it quickly.


The day started off a bit wet. Weather in alpine valleys is localised. It might be sunny one side of the mountain and raining the other. That's why H spent so much time looking at weather charts in preparation. The path didn't look attractive. There was a lot of cow dung and good views were obscured by trees. I joked that the tourist bureau should cut down some of the trees. We crossed the railway line that we had arrived on several times. At the top, Cavaglia, H agreed with me that it was raining too hard to continue, so we abandoned our quest for Alp Grüm and caught the train out. So the title of this post is a bit of a lie, we never got there on foot. There were other hikers on the path who persevered, but they were better prepared than I was. I had only my cool weather jacket and a plastic raincoat on top, and my jeans and sneakers were soaked from the rain.


With the rest of the day at our disposal, we went to see St. Moritz. This is a famous ski resort which has hosted the Winter Olympics a couple of times and is a magnet for the well-heeled tourist.


This is the St. Moritz Library overlooking the Plazza da Scuola.


What town in Switzerland would not have a prominent clock tower? However I did not find the town especially attractive, just normal. I think it's famous simply because of its association with rich people.


The town overlooks the eponymous lake and because of that, the path around it is flat, which I appreciated, in my weariness from hiking.


This is the Waldhaus am See, a posh hotel at one end of the lake.


Snow topped peak behind the town.


Looking back at the town from the other side of the lake.


We had an uneventful journey back to Zürich. T cooked a gnochi and we had a good dinner before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment