Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Vevey and Neuchâtel

The Riviera Lodge in Vevey was a gem of a find. The facilities were basic but everything was squeaky clean, and the management was very friendly. It also has to be one of the most easy to reach hostels in Switzerland; just walk down from the train station towards the lake and it's off the main square. I had a very restful night's sleep due to the cool mountain air and the comfy bed.


After a breakfast of müsli and yoghurt, I walked down to the quay where I found this lone goose amongst the swans. I wonder if it felt out of place.


I walked westwards along the water's edge this time. Along the way are these statues of hippocampi.


This was the largest hippocampI liked the mirror-like surface of the pool reflecting the distant mountains and the sky. 


This is the headquarters of Nestlé.


Then I walked up the slope to the back of the train station and to the old town.


This is a sculptural machine near the Swiss Camera Museum. I didn't note whether it was a permanent exhibit or a temporary one. I'm also not sure if it's by Jean Tinguely or Niki de Saint Phalle.  How embarrassing.


Then I checked out of the hostel and took the train to Lausanne changing to a milk run to Yverdon Les Bains at the western tip of Lake Neuchâtel. Although Yverdon is famous for its thermal springs, just as L predicted there was nothing of interest to the casual sightseer, probably only for people taking the waters. From there I caught the train to Neuchâtel which is further east along the same lake.


I explored the lakeside a bit and had lunch in an EPA supermarket cafeteria (these have good deals in Switzerland). Streets were cordoned off, and eventually a bicycle race came through to the cheers of bystanders.


It had been my intention to change to a bus crossing into France at Vallorbe and then catch the TGV to Dijon from there. I however saw from the timetables that I could take the service from Neuchâtel to Dijon via Pontarlier. In fact it was the same TGV service, just two branches merging. So I got my ticket changed at a very friendly Swiss CFF counter for no charge.


As the train crossed into France, I got quizzed by a border official about my métier. Fortunately I remembered the French word for computer, ordinateur. At Dijon I met B, as arranged. I'll put those pictures in a separate post as there are quite a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment