Sunday, June 20, 2004

Vitznau

I was woken in the morning by the early light and the aforementioned aircraft noise. I had a sore neck from the low pillow which lasted all day. I will change the pillow tonight to alleviate the problem. After breakfast, I accompanied T to the supermarket where I bought for some cereal and yogurt for the hike H and were taking the day after. I also bought some food to cook a dinner for the family on our return. I will have to get the rest of the Asian ingredients from the deli section of Globus later.


My hosts had invited me to join them in T's family reunion at Vitznau, on Lake Lucerne, one of the most gorgeous of the Swiss lakes. To get there first we crossed Lake Zürich by ferry, to avoid going through the city, since their suburb is east of the lake.


After about an hour of driving through forested roads, we arrived at Vitznau. It was raining a little when we got there.


The rack railway up to Rigi starts in Vitznau. The carriage sheds are impressive.


The reunion event was dinner so we had several hours to pass. The relatives chatted amongst themselves and I opted to take a walk along the lake. Here you are looking back at the hotel and dining room for that evening.


A sundial in the gardens.


A clock tower and church behind this building.


Lone duck.


A marina and the formidable mountains in the background.


I got quite far in about 45 minutes.


Warm yellow for a grayish day.


More flowers.


Even better in closeup.


These mushrooms were huge. I wasn't tempted to try them though; I am no expert.


Back at the hotel; a ferry sets out.


A most elegant hotel. Notice the steep angle of the roof.


The view from the dining room just before dinner. I had some coffee and chatted with H while waiting.


The dinner was a formal affair with a fixed menu. After the dinner, H said his farewells and we drove back to Zürich. T was overnighting in the hotel, while we would set out on our hike the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment