Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Hike to Poschiavo

After breakfast we started our hike. Our destination was the monastery of San Romerio which predates the village of Brusio. This is a look back at the village.


As we ascended we gained good views of the lake.


And the valley.


It took us nearly 4 hours, with 10 minute stops every hour, but we finally reached the monastery. I wonder what made monks seek out such solitude, bearing in mind that it would have been even more isolated 1000 years ago. The grand landscape is good for reflection perhaps.


A resident pleased to see us.


And some who weren't very fussed at all.


The monastery is perched rather precariously on the edge of a precipice so the views were fantastic. Here I ate my müsli and yogurt for lunch.


Then we continued on the path.


The hike got more difficult due to the narrow path, tree roots and rocks.


Eventually the path flattened out and became gentler.


We reached Poschiavo and checked into our hotel. I had a nap and watched a reprise episode of Inspector Rex. When I came down, H was having a beer in the bar. I had a dinner of a Milanesa there. The room was starting to fill with cigarette smoke due to the football fans gathering to watch the game so I left. In my room I watched France beat Switzerland 3-1. I was rather tired and had an incipient cold so I went to sleep quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment