Friday, June 25, 2004

Paris and Leiden

The train arrived at Gare de l'Est a few minutes ahead of time. Gare du Nord is just walking distance from there but I got a little lost and asked at a cafe for directions. In my opinion, Parisians are only human too; they are helpful if one doesn't commit the solecism of launching into a question in English. Even if your French is basic, if you make some effort, they will help you. I mean how would you like it if tourists came to your country and insisted on asking questions in their language without first checking?


There was a long line at the ticket counter, but I eventually got a reservation for the Thalys with a breakfast but no guaranteed seat due to the short notice. I found a place with no problem. I only had to pay the supplement as the base fare was covered by my Eurailpass.


At Brussels Midi there was chaos and services were delayed because a storm system was passing through Benelux and their train systems weren't coping well. A group of schoolkids on excursion was not helping. The departure platform was changed and eventually the service left for Antwerpen at 0930. As the train headed towards the Dutch border, I decided that trying to visit both Delft and Leiden would be too hard and opted for the latter only.


Leiden is a pleasant university city with handsome historical buildings.The previous photo was of the Koornbrugsteeg. This is the Hooglandse Kerk.


An Australian in Leiden?


Clever way of increasing seating capacity.


One of the many drawbridges that you will see all over the Netherlands.


I had lunch in a Subway shop there. As I sat eating my sandwich, it started pelting cats and dogs. After it had stopped, when I stepped outside, the cold wind cut into my jacket, so I decided to call it a day even though I could catch trains all day with my Eurailpass.


And of course what trip to the Netherlands would be complete without a picture of a windmill?


I hopped onto the train to Heemstede and soon was glad to be "home" even though it was my last night in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment